Travel Grants available:
- Student Executive Council (SEC) travel grant
- Graduate and Professional Student Government (GPSG ) travel grant
- Longitudinal Research Project (LRP) travel award
Refund Request Deadlines:
- SEC travel grant – within 14 days of receipt/invoice to SEC
- GPSG travel grant – first 10 days of the month after your conference – see GPSG website for more details
- LRP travel award – see website
SEC Conference Funding
Students are eligible for up to $200 reimbursement per fiscal year. SEC has the capacity to sponsor up to 60 students for $200 each, or more students for less. With a few exceptions, this can cover anything related to the presentation at a conference; from poster printing costs to gas, housing or registration. The student must be a presenter at the conference or engaged in leadership activities. Please contact SEC finance if you have any questions.
Refund Request Instructions for SEC travel grant only, or SEC+GPSG travel grant
GPSG Travel Grants
The Graduate and Professional Student Government is just what it sounds like — the governing body for all graduate and professional schools at Pitt. They are the voice of Pitt students to the University and to state and local government, and they provide funding and other resources for graduate and professional students and organizations. Half of every graduate and professional student’s activity fee goes to the GPSG; the other half they give to the governing bodies for the graduate and professional schools. For med students, that’s the SEC.
The GPSG provides one travel grant per year to students who participate in academic conferences. If you wish to apply for a travel grant, you must visit their website and follow the instructions provided there. If you apply for a travel grant, the refund request process is a little different than if you just want funds from the SEC. Make sure you follow the correct instructions as listed in the pdf above.
GPSG travel grant tips:
- When you fill in your application form, disclose any additional funds you expect to receive from other sources — this includes the SEC.
- If you are awarded the grant, the GPSG will contact the SEC to approve the amount you disclosed in your application — the SEC will happily do so!
- You will receive an email saying you were awarded funds and instructing you to complete refund request paperwork.
LRP Travel Award
The Student Research Program (SRP) offers travel awards to provide financial assistance and recognition to medical students (non-PSTP/CSTP/OMF and MSTP) presenting their Longitudinal Research Project at a conference. The award can be used for lodging, transportation and conference-specific expenses for up to $500, and it is only given once during a student’s enrollment at the UPSOM. The SRP Directors will grant travel awards on a competitive basis after review – a max. of 12 travel awards will be made each year.
For more information on eligibility, deadlines, and the application process, please visit the LRP travel award website.